Saturday, August 30, 2008

Final Days of Summer Vacation

I have taken somewhat of a break this summer from blogging. I didn't do it intentionally but I just ran out of time. I am hoping for some more posts in the upcoming weeks!
The last weeks have been busy and quiet at the same time if that makes any sense. I have just been enjoying spending time with the girls. We have visiting with friends, getting some back to school stuff ready, going to the library, swimming at Grams pool, some scrapbooking and other house kind of stuff.
Last week my new little niece Peyton was born. She is absolutely adorable. So great to cuddle a little one again. The kids have been loving her too.

Last week we went on a little road trip to Mapleton Organic Dairy. That was so cool. On my vacation I read the 100 Mile Diet. (The authors are coming to Waterloo on Sept 16 - I will be going, email me if you are interested in coming with me)I have found it so intriguing. I have been preparing food to have over the winter. I can't believe how much time it takes. I have frozen peaches, berries, beets, beans and broccoli. I have made jam - blueberry, strawberry and raspberry and I have made dill pickles. It is my hope to can some tomatoes was well. I would like to make some spaghetti sauce and some salsa - does anyone have some good recipes? Yesterday I got 3 heads of broccoli to freeze. I got the shock of my life when I found the fresh broccoli to be covered in green worms. It really was an eye opener for me. I have never seen these bugs before on the broccoli bought at the grocery store. It shows to me that our food source is so tainted with pesticides and GMO produce. It definitely took some work to soak the broccoli in salt water and then pick off the remaining worms. But it felt good to know that it was so natural. Tomorrow I have a 1/2 bushel of beans to look after as well as some blueberries and some peaches. I know that I won't have enough stuff to last the winter and this is just a start for me but I am trying to make a conscious effort to buy local food. (If only Starbucks would have 100 mile Chai Latte!)
At the Dairy I bought and sampled some yummy ice cream. The kids had fun at the dairy - the highlight - having baby calves suckle on their fingers.

This month I joined Columbia Lake Health Club. I have been making an effort to get there. It has been hard with the kids at home but it should get better when the kids get back to school
Today I took the kids horseback riding at Conestoga Horseback Adventures this morning. It was an awesome experience for the kids. They loved it. I thought Mer might be nervous but she was right into it. Avery loved it too. The riding seemed to come to them so naturally. I didn't ride this time but I will next time!

This is Meredith sitting on Freddy - the largest horse in the stable.


Avery rode Sunman first and then switched around with Meredith.

Meredith rode Oreo to start.

Tonight we had our neighbourhood BBQ. Great fun and Great food. Everyone looks forward to this party. So many kids running around and just living in the moment. The adults have fun too!!
Tomorrow Andy and I will celebrate our 12th Wedding Anniversary. So hard to believe that it has been 12 years. Happy Anniversary And! I love You!

Finally a little scrapbooking fun!


Happy Labour Day Weekend to all my blog reading friends - have fun and enjoy!

3 comments:

jenn said...

happy anniversary to the two of you!!!! I want to read that 100mile diet, I think I'll have to go get it!!! Love your scrapbooking (as always)

xoxox

Tracey said...

Looks like you fully enjoyed your summer Michelle!! Good to hear!! Your scrapbooking projects are beautiful as usual!!! Have fun with the first day of school!!!!

Sue said...

Happy Anniversary to you and Andy, Michelle! Hope you had a wonderful time and I love the picture you shared!!